Would you like to host a Balanced Body Course at your studio? Find Out How.
Balanced Body provides Pilates education for every stage of your career. We are committed to supporting your personal and professional growth. Whether you want to become a gifted Mat instructor, an inspiring Reformer teacher or a comprehensively trained Pilates professional, Balanced Body connects you to the widest array of educational offerings in the world.
You will be trained by Fusion’s Master trainers with 20+ years of experience, thousands of hours of teaching and rehabilitation experience and who have trained and apprenticed with first, second and third generation teachers.
Our program offers three levels of Pilates Instructor Education: Mat, Reformer and Comprehensive. Each level is offered in affordable modules so you can take your first course now and continue your training next week, next month or next year, whichever works best for you. Each module is designed to allow you to start teaching quickly and to continue learning as you progress.
Requirements for Completion
To become a fully qualified Balanced Body University Pilates Instructor, students must complete the following requirements:
- Anatomy (required)
- BBU Mat Instructor training or equivalent
- BBU Reformer Instructor training or equivalent
- BBU Cadillac/Tower – Course work, written and practical test (18 hours)
- BBU Chair – Course work, written and practical test (12 hours)
- BBU Barrels – Course work, written and practical test (6 hours)
- 45 Personal practice hours and 105 Teaching hours or 35 Personal sessions, 20 observations hours and 95 teaching hours
- Practical test
Total hours for completion of Apparatus: 186 hours
Total hours for completion of full program: 486 hours
Upon completion of all of the requirements, a certificate of completion as a Balanced Body University Pilates Instructor will be issued.
Students who have completed their Mat or Reformer certification through other organizations can take the BBU curriculum and receive a certificate of completion from BBU. Students will need to provide proof of completion of a comparable Mat or Reformer program before being accepted into Balanced Body University.
Please contact the office for details and a list of approved organizations.
Reformer and Other Apparatus Final Exam and Certification
Once instructors have completed all of the Reformer and/or Apparatus course work and hours, they must pass a practical exam demonstrating their teaching ability. Exams will be regularly scheduled in different areas of the world. If instructors are not able to test out due to geographical challenges, testing out by video can be arranged. If a student is completing both the Reformer and the Apparatus sequence, they will not need to test out separately on the Reformer and the Apparatus.
The final test out consists of an observation of a session with a client or an apparatus class. The specific requirements will be determined prior to the testing. During the exam we will be observing and rating the instructor’s skills in the following areas:
- Correct set up and execution of the exercises
- Client safety
- Appropriate sequencing
- Appropriateness of the exercises to the client or class
- Understanding and application of the principles
- Cueing and the ability to communicate with your client or class
If the instructor does not pass on the first try, we will discuss what they need to focus on in order to pass and set up a timeline for completion.
Students can count any classes or Pilates personal training session they have already taken. Developing and committing to a personal Pilates practice is an essential part of becoming an effective and inspiring teaching.
Observation hours include watching experienced instructors teach group classes of private sessions. Observation is a great way to understand verbal and manual cueing, program sequencing and to hone your teaching skills.
Student Teaching Hours
Teaching hours include any Pilates teaching either as an employee at a fitness center or Pilates Studio or for family and friends.
The Modules (click for details)
- Anatomy for Pilates
- Balanced Body Pilates Mat Certification Program
- Balanced Body Pilates Reformer Certification Program
- Balanced Body Apparatus Certification Program
Please follow these steps to schedule and complete your Test Out:
- Fusion Pilates Pre & Post Natal Teacher Training Fukuoka, Japan 2018 - March 2, 2018
- The Kindness Method Fukuoka Japan 2018 - March 7, 2018
- Balanced Body Mat 1 Asheville March 2017 - March 24, 2018
- Balanced Body Mat 2 Asheville April 2018 - April 14, 2018
- Balanced Body Reformer 1 in Asheville May 2018 - May 5, 2018